Thursday, September 13, 2012

Leftover lunch

I heard that my mother and grandmother were coming for a visit. In one hour notice. If I reveal that we didn't have milk in our fridge, you can guess how well I was prepared when I started to create something for lunch.

So this is what I came up with. Chicken in pesto sauce. I garnished the dishes with feta crumble. I widely interpreted puttanesca-style way of thinking. Leftover cooking is rewarding. At least the older gals were really happy. I should do this more often.




You need:
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tomatoes
300g chicken fillets
one small yellow pepper
150g green pesto sauce
200g crème fraîche
1 lemon zest
feta cheese

season with s&p, dried herbs (thyme, oregano), cayenne pepper and sumac (you can find it from oriental shops, adds a wonderful lemony tang to the food)

Fry the onions and garlic and add chopped tomatoes. Brown the chicken and season the mixture. Toss cubed peppers into the pan with pesto. After few minutes, pour a drop of water with crème fraîche. Grate lemon zest and let the sauce simmer for 15 minutes or so.

NB! You can add few tablespoons of turkish yoghourt into the sauce if it's too thick. After warming the sauce take it off the heat to avoid curdling.

Serve with feta crumbs and jasmine rice.

No comments: